Aerospace Internship Program
TEENS LEARN A TRADE AND BUILD THEIR CONFIDENCE
Skills Inc.’s Aerospace Internship Program (AIP) gives students in five South King County school districts the opportunity to gain practical work experience in aerospace manufacturing and finishing while earning credit toward their high school diplomas.
Since 2001, this educational and vocational training program has helped hundreds of high school students with disabilities who are at risk of not graduating. When students draw on mathematics, spatial reasoning and reading on the factory floor, school seems a lot less academic and more relevant. In addition to receiving one-on-one training, mentoring and personalized instruction, interns gain valuable life skills – like being on time every day, working with peers, receiving direction and being reliable team members.
With so many in the industry nearing retirement, there’s a pressing need to train the next generation of aerospace manufacturing workers. We’re thrilled to be doing our part in meeting that need.
- Receive credit toward high school graduation
- Develop employable work habits with a strong emphasis on improving soft skills
- Receive a comprehensive introduction to the aerospace industry
- Improve Basic Computer Skills
- Work toward a National Career Readiness Certificate with focus on applied math, reading and locating information
- Achieve an OSHA Ten Hour Industry Card
- Career readiness assessment
“What I have seen, is that participating in the AIP has truly brought out the interns’ potential. They have been encouraged to take that step forward, not despite their disabilities, but because of their abilities. ”
– Julie Moore, Kent School District, Program Specialist
Parents and Guardians
If interested in this program, please contact your student’s Special/Inclusive Education Administrator.